Monday, 21 April 2014

Welcome to the start of another week ...

 
which, for most, will be a Public Holiday -  hope the weather's good where you are and you get to make the most of the extra day off!

Yesterday saw us spending time with friends and family (theirs not ours!) We had such a long walk home at the end of the day too ...... all the way from, next door!!!! I've posted some pix later in the post ..... but, before heading off armed with beer and chocolate (for the teens too young for the beer!) I notched up the card below, it utilised new stash too and that's always satisfying, isn't it? It may LOOK like a  CAS (Clean And SIMPLE) card but, read on and you will see just how much went in to this card - simple really isn't always SIMPLE .... if you know what I mean!!
 
 
 
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300 gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Off cuts of card in white, kraft and black for image and sentiment panels, matting and layering.
  • Taking the image panel, a Tim Holtz mini blending tool (new stash!), a foam pad and Distress Inks in: scattered straw, wild honey, antique linen, dusty concord and worked up my background
  • Using Kaisercraft background images in "woodgrain" and "grid" I inked with D.I.'s used on the background to give a subtle background pattern
  • I stamped the circle from my new Hero Arts set with Brilliance crimson copper and randomly stamped around the edges - being sure to make the majority of the circle off the paper - not wishing to obscure my main image too much.
  • I then inked my Inkadinkado splatter stamp with Versacolour Sahara sand and stamped randomly round the image panel ...... I revisited this image/ink on the base card once all my layers were assembled and adhered as I spotted a tiny mark on the card's "white space" and needed to cover it rather than scrap the whole thing - Problem SOLVED!!!
  • Using my new(ish) Stampers Anonymous set with the man and umbrella I inked him using Versafine onyx black ink and stamped him as far to the left of the panel as I could, leaving the faux "layers" visible .... and also leaving room to attach my sentiment
  • Using my new (sale room) stash of the radiant pearls shimmer spray I simply added a little "je ne sais quoi" of twinkle to the image panel - it's hard to see it in the card photo but I've got a close up below .... isn't it FAB?
  • For the sentiment panel I stamped a Stampers Anonymous frame using Versafine vintage sepia and then a sentiment from the same set using Versafine onyx black. To soften the stark white I simply dabbed the blending tool without adding further ink. I placed some dimensional foam squares (new stash again) behind the sentiment panel and then adhered to my base card, overlapping the image panel but not by too much - it was at this point I spotted the tiny mark on an area of white space .... but too late to adjust my sentiment placing - grrrr!
 
Now you see what I mean by not simple at all - don't you?
 
 
Just look at that twinkle, you can also just make out the pearl finish to the Brilliance circle too
  

It turned out kind of GRUNGY CAS don't you think? So, it kind of fits with the new theme of "Grungy" over at the Pan Pastels blog so I shall try my luck there. I'm sure they'll let me know if they disagree . Given that using Distress Inks is one of my favourite techniques along with building up a background with stamps I shall also be making this card my second entry over at Stamplorations where their April monthly challenge is "favourite technique"- wish me luck with both challenges! Stamplorations will also be launching their new challenge (number 10) of their bi-weekly challenges so why not pop along and check that out today too? Thanks to a comment I've edited this to add that I've entered this over at the TIME OUT blog current challenge which is to make a birthday card and there's the optional twist to make it a masculine card so this fits perfectly

On a bit more of a masculine kick yesterday too so decided to have a crack at the Male Room's current challenge of "Mans best friend/Pet" ....


Here's the card itself

And here's how the inside and the front/back of the envelope turned out too

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • 14cm square black card and 13½cm square white card x 2, for the front and inside of the card
  • Offcuts of black card for two matting layers, blue metallic card and white card
  • Dylusions border image stamped on to white card using Brilliance Mediterranean blue ink
  • Using low tack tape I masked off the border before applying Distress Inks in weathered wood, faded jeans and dusty concord - applied using the Tim Holtz mini blending tool
  • Kaisercraft triangles image stamped using the D.I. in weathered wood
  • Kaisercraft grid image stamped using D.I. faded jeans
  • Inkadinkado image stamped on to white card using Versafine vintage sepia ink and cut out before attaching to the blue panel with dimensional foam pads
  • Hampton Arts sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink

As you can see from the lower photo of the two, I carried my card design and images across the inside of the card and also to the front and rear of the envelope.

How did we spend Easter Sunday? Before heading out for our lunch we went out to take the Sunday Selfie for a friend and snagged these pix - wanna see?



Bryan House - Downtown Kissimmee


OLD Osceola Court House


NEW Osceola Court House


Monument of the States - Downtown Kissimmee

Mural on the wall in Downtown Kissimmee


This was the start of a train and a half!!! THREE engines and no fewer than 105 wagons!!! OMG!


You looking at me?

And round at the neighbours you can plainly see that Lulu is still very shy around company


Happy Easter Monday

14 comments:

Debs M said...

fab grungy cas card - love the image and I obviously love the dog one as I have the same stamp!! x

SARN said...

LOVE the two male cards you're showing today Kathy. I see what you mean about it being CAS but not CAS to make!

Thanks for letting me explore Kissimmee with you!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Happy Bank holiday Kathy - love your pics, especially the monument, and the squirrel - they are so hard to catch on camera before the run up the tree.

Great cards, love the cute dog image. Keep up the good work.

Sadly a cog broke in one of my grand caliburs last week, so I'm going to see if I can buy a replacement - any chance I'll have some luck?

Brenda Brown said...

Love umbrella man and the doggie card, both great designs. Thanks for sharing those great photos, the mural is amazing. Hope you've had a happy Easter weekend. xx

Deborah Frings said...

Kathy - both cards are great. Love the grungy CAS card. And your little pouch is adorable with a super sentiment. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week!

I really like your photos too! That was one LONG train!!

Clare Lloyd said...

Great cards. Fab piccies too.

Claire said...

Hi Kathy, gorgeous cards and I love your take on the grungy CAS style, really effective. Beautiful photos too. Thanks for joining us at PanPastel challenge this time
Clairexx

sandie said...

fab Grunge card Kathy, great sponging. Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations and this would also be perfect for our challenge at TIME OUT, here is the link
http://timeoutchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/time-out-challenge-3.html

Sue - said...

Two great cards. Love the cute dog. I enjoyed your photos too! Thank you for joining us in The Male Room.

Beverley said...

Two FAB cards, loving the ink splats & colours on the first :) Thanks for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge. Hugs Bev x

FeistyCrafter said...

Both cards are fabulous! I like that you have a matching envelope for your dog card....very cute. Your dog card is CAS and cute. Thanks for joining us at The Male Room
Tina dt

Tracy said...

It fits in totally with the grunge theme Kathy , your cards are both beautiful! Enjoyed the pics too :-)
Thank you for joining us over at Pan pastel uk, goodluck.
xxx

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love the umbrella man card - that focal panel is fabulous~ Your dog card is cute too! Thanks for joining up in both STAMPloratios & The Male Room~

Debra James said...

Fabulous card- the umbrella man stamp is a favourite of mine.Thanks for playing along with STAMPlorations.