Friday, 19 September 2014

TGIF - another weekend looms large

Morning peeps
 
Welcoming new follower, Asha, thanks for following me and I hope you'll find a reason to stop by again.

Yesterday was a delightfully sociable day with me meeting up with pal, Liz, for coffee at a local farm shop in the morning and another pal, Sue, for dinner in the evening. Between those two meets I really do feel like we've set the World to rights!!, as well as drunk too much tea and coffee!

Still on a Christmas card roll despite being nearly at the end of my quota - at this rate I'll be getting a start on 2015!!!

My card - looks super festive and yet totally modern - doesn't it?

A close up of the rich and sparkly colours

And a view of the insert and the co-ordinating envelope
 
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square white card panel (x 2 including insert)
  • Red card matted at 1/16" border (x 2 including insert)
  • One acrylic block used as a stamp with versamark ink, gold dazzle and red tinsel embossing powder sprinkled liberally (and excess shaken off) before heat embossing
  • Kaisercraft sentiment stamped on to snippet of white card before matting first on to black and then red card snippets
  • Spray and Sparkle to both seal and give a lovely twinkle to the card and insert (kindly donated to me by crafting pal, Lilian, who can't stand the smell!!! my gain eh?!!)
  • Spray and Shine applied to the envelope to seal the Adirondack (red pepper) and Encore (Gold) inks used on the front and back

Challenges entered:
  1. Addicted to Stamps and More - Holiday challenge (Well, Christmas IS a holiday!)
  2. 52CCT - colour challenge (I used black, red and gold - see below)
  3. Stamplorations - Sketch challenge (see below)
  4. ABCofChristmas - "S" for Something Festive (red and gold? Doesn't get much more festive than that!)

    


And then on to one of those (often) tricky cards ... the masculine card:-


My card, masculine, CAS and somewhat grungy .....

A close up - which I HOPE will allow you to see the "flight" element a little better
The insert and co-ordinating envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching envelope
  • 13½cm square white card panel (x 2 including the insert)
  • Black card for matting (x 2 including the insert) at 1/16", cut using perfect layering ruler and a craft knife
  • Wide (self adhesive) metal tape (courtesy of Jan - thanks Jan!) adhered to snippet of white card and then run through my "pocket watch" triple emboss folder before matting on a snippet of black card
  • Black acrylic paint brushed on to the metal tape panel and allowed to "almost dry" before knocking back with a tissue to "age" the panel
  • Studio 112 "flying machine" image stamped on base white card panel multiple times using Memento London Fog ink
  • TPC Studio sentiment stamped on to a snippet of white card using Ranger Archival jet black ink and then matted on to black card
  • Dimensional foam adhesive attached to one side of the sentiment and regular glue to the other (to allow for the dimensional difference with the triple embossed panel)

And there you have a CAS, masculine card featuring metal and .... I went along the lines of "time flies" for my flight connection but also included the flying machine like a "water mark" ... in case you couldn't make it out .....


This is the stamp I used

I'll be entering this card for two challenges:-
  1. The Male Room - "use metal" challenge
  2. Inskpirational - "flight" challenge

Thanks to Jane of Purplejet Loves Cards I was pointed at a different technique which involves re-inkers and a baby wipe as a stamp pad! I followed her link to the blog of Nicole Heady ... and snagged this youtube video to embed - thanks (and credit) to all concerned, including Barbara Grey who's video I've also embedded!
 
 
 

A little research and I also found this youtube video by Barbara Grey which uses cut and dry instead of a stamp pad. I've included this as it offers a couple of interesting changes (i.e. stamping the outline first ... and storing your "pad") - you might only want to watch one but you MIGHT be missing out!!




I may well be trying one of these, or a combination of both .... some time very soon! T To those ardent fans of the brusho water colour crystals check out the make in this post - very cool

And now for the Friday Funny, this week coming atcha courtesy of  Sandra .... these came to me in e-mail form which I couldn't transfer directly but ... a quick Google search and I'm happy to share her suggestions with you this morning, they're a little focused on age but hey, we're none of us getting YOUNGER - ENJOY!!!
 
Out of estrogen ...

If only ....

 
Mis-spent youth

 
Resistance is useless!


Happy Friday, have a fantabulous day .... if you haven't had enough of the funnies then don't forget that the Hettiecraftz blog also features a F.F.


19 comments:

SARN said...

WOW - what a fab male card there Kathy. LOVE it to pieces.

Also love the CAS Xmas card xxx

Will check out the videos you've linked to a little later because they look interesting but I'm out of time.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Hettie said...

Great cards, but I am especially drawn to the man card - such a tricky one...and they say us women are difficult!! Yeah Right.
Great funnies. I will try and come back to see the videos when I stop running around!
Hugs
xx

Lesley Thomas said...

You've been busy with the cards Kathy, you must be nearing your target soon. I think your 'man' card works really well too.

sandie said...

Love your Holiday sparkle card and great take on the sketch. I love the masculine feel of your Ink card and the subtle way you have stamped the flying machine. Great to see you join is at both ATSM and Ink. Have a great weekend Kathy x

Rocky said...

Love the metal work. Aluminium tape is great stuff, especially when aged like yours. Thank you for joining us at TMR.

cm said...

Wow...a whole bunch of delight and entertainment packed into your post, from amazing cards, to informative videos, to make-me-smile posters. Excellent start to my Friday! Your Christmas card is gorgeous with the pretty colours, the shimmer and glitz, and the eye-catching layout. Thank you for sharing at ATSM!
~c

scrappyjacky said...

Love your masculine card....I always find them difficult.

Di said...

Wow Kathy - you've been busy! I totally adore your Christmas card, and how you decorate inside as well as the envelope - attention to detail indeed! Like others I'm scampering about but will be back to check out the videos.

Have a lovely weekend!

Hugs, Di xx

Cornelia W said...

Wonderful cards - you even decorated the inside! That sparkle on you STAMPlorations card - delicious!! Thanks for linking it up with us!

I also really like your time flies birthday card - so clever!Thanks for playing at Inkspirational!

Deborah Frings said...

Oh Kathy - fabulous cards! I love the very contemporary Christmas card - love all that shimmer and sparkle. And that masculine birthday card is simply brilliant. Love the embossed panel and the subtle background printing. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT and The Male Room!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Stunning Christmas card all glittered out! Thanks for joining in with STAMPlorations.

Love the use of metal - Thanks for joining in the Male Room!

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant CAS cards love the sparkly Christmas one and fabulous male card love the embossing
Carol x

Danielle Vincent said...

Very nice collection of cards. I LOVE that modern and sparkly Christmas card - so simple yet fresh and fun. Thanks so much for joining us this week at 52CCT.

Darnell J Knauss said...

My word, KathyK, you really do overwhelm us with so much finery in one post!! Where to begin!!

I saw you had entered another card - a gorgeous Christmas card, so EZPZ, but so full of pizzazz! - in the Stamplorations challenge and I came to thank you for that!

Then I was also captivated and impressed to pieces by your incredible masculine birthday card! Fantasmagorical in every way!!

Thank you, too, for those wonderful instructional videos and for the Friday Funny!! Hugs, Darnell

Debs M said...

2 fabulous cards - love the sparkle on the xmas card - great idea to heat emboss it. Fabulous male card - they really are tricky blighters!! will check out the video's too :) x

Sue said...

Fabulous glittery streaks, great use of the sketch and I love the matching envelope! Thank you for joining us at ATSM.

Deepti said...

Love those streaks of red and gold :) thank you for sharing with ATSM n Stamplorations!

Nonni said...

Great cards, Kathy! I love the glitter look of the first one... And the great metallic effect on the second card. Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational and STAMPlorations!

Dot said...

Such a lovely CAS Christmas card.
Thanks for entering our S challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge this time.
Dorte x