Sunday, 22 March 2015

Another lazy Sunday

Morning all
I set up an ATC swap recently where the theme was kept fairly broad ... "What makes you happy" .... What makes me happy? Getting inky and using the fabulous bird crazy set that recently landed on my mat. Come on ... you've seen them, don't they make YOU smile? There were four people signed up (including me) so I set out to make three ATC's - one for each person signed up.
Here's how they developed:-

First, I applied some brusho crystals to a snippet of card (the leftover strip from cutting two 13½cm squares from a piece of A4 card) - I really didn't need to use much although I ended up with more at one end than the other ... check out the photo below! Once I'd sprinkled the crystals I sprayed some aerosol laundry starch, which activated the crystals. Then, armed with a piece of pre scrunched cling film I "smooshed" the colour about until I was happy before leaving it for about 30 minutes. I then removed the clingfilm and set aside to dry .... LOVING the pattern it leaves in the colour!
Stamped and brusho'd snippets
Once dry, I took my ATC blanks and, after selecting which parts of the strip I wanted to use, glued my ATC blanks to my background panels. Once dry, I cut them in to ATC's


My ATC's attached to the brusho'd snippets
On separate snippets I stamped my images and applied masking fluid to the eyes and beaks, to keep them white. I then "speed coloured" them, removed the masking fluid and cut them out. Whilst they dried I set about further decorating my ATC backgrounds ......

My ATC's
Then I set about decorating them in a way that made me smile!

And a better view of one of the set
Materials used:
  • Snippets of white card to which I sprinkled brusho water colour crystals in lemon and turquoise before spraying with starch and crunching cling film on - leaving aside to dry
  • Once dry I attached the ATC's to the snippets using Cosmic Shimmer glue
  • I stamped the Art Journey droplets image using Memento Mediterranean blue (except to the darker ATC where I used Color Box white) inks
  • I stamped the Tim Holtz Bird Crazy image three times on to snippets of white card using Ranger Archival jet black ink and also on to each of the ATC's
  • I applied masking fluid to the beak and eyes before I "speed coloured" the birds using Distress Ink in shaded lilac and mustard set before cutting out and attaching over the stamped images on the ATC
  • Using the barbed wire image from Visible Image and Ranger Archival jet black ink I stamped somewhere for the bird to stand on to each of the ATC's
  • Using a white Signo uniball gel roller I highlighted the droplets and doodled a very rough frame outline to the ATC
I'll be entering the project in the following challenges:
  1. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - "Snippet challenge"
  2. Creative Fingers - "Anything Goes"
  3. That's Crafty - "Wings and things"
  4. The Craft Barn - weekly challenge "make your own background"
This past week has been the doggiest I've spent in years! What with staying with our friends with one dog, accompanying Mary walking her neighbours dog too and then visiting her sister and her four .... as if that wasn't enough we were on Riddick sitting duty on Friday too ..... we took him for a reasonable walk but he's still a puppy and was still chock full of beans when we got him home ...
Play with me!
Happy Sunday

18 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love your background...works perfectly with the birds.

SARN said...

Great background inking and smooshing technique there Mate. Your ATCs look fab.

Happy Sunday.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

great atc's x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Fabby! The background is gorgeous and, well, you KNOW I love those Crazy Birds.

I don't know who's having the most fun, Mr K or Riddick :oD Fun pic

Lx

Lesley Thomas said...

Fun card/s Kathy. I prefer cats to dogs, they don't need taking for a walk.

scrappymo! said...

These are amazing. I love the backgrounds you have created!

thassos456 said...

Great ATCs, the crazy bird is perfect for them. Love the background colours :)

catherine said...

Fabulous Atc's Kathy and I can see you are really enjoying using the Bird Crazy set of stamps. fabulous colours
x catherine

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE the way the background looks just like water! In fact in the top pic, I thought it was a photo of water! I really must give these Brusho's a try! Hazel xx

Karin said...

Love your ATC's!! The bird is hilarious and the backgrounds are fantastic!
Karin x

Nikky Hall said...

Great make - just saw your comment over on the Pan Pastel blog but it looks like we haven't been getting your emails. Can you email me at sales@polkadoodles.co.uk please so we can sort your prize out and please also PM me on Facebook NIkky Hall just in case the email still doesnt get through for some reason x

Di said...

Oh these are such fun Kathy! I adore those birds, too funny - and the backgrounds are gorgeous!

Hugs

Di xx

Scrapmate said...

Gorgeous background. I wonder what the benefits of spray starch are over water? I love this delightful set of ATCs the background goes so well with the crazy birds.

My name is Wynneth said...

How fabulous are your ATCs, what great stamps those crazy birds are - hard to resist really !

Such a great way to create backgrounds, loving the colours you've used. Must give the Brusho Startch technique a go.

Lots of doggie time then, sounds like fun !

luv
wynneth
x

Jane said...

Absolutely love your background!!
Thank you for joining in the Challenge.
Jane x (The Craft Barn)

butterfliecrafter said...

these atcs are so fun

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Super adorable (saw your ATC's on the Snippets playground) - so colorful and FUN!

maggie said...

A fabulous background and I love those crazy birds.