Sunday, 26 July 2015

Morning and welcome to Sunday morning

Morning,

I'm away from my desk again this morning as I shall be crafting with pal, Lilian - wonder what we'll come up with!

Whilst at a workshop recently a fellow attendee was using "Smoothies" and I was quite taken with them. A quick Google found the going rate to be around £4.25 for two well, not knowing whether I would like them or not I set about finding a cheaper alternative and came up with these, at £1.46 for two inc P&P - imagine my surprise when I discovered they shipped from Hong Kong for that price too!!!!



Nothing for it but to try them out, as an alternative to a blending tool!!





And a close up to show the layers of one colour ..

Materials used:

  • Two snippets of 200gsm white card, stuck together as neither is thick enough on its own!
  • Using the sponge shown above I applied Distress Ink in bundled sage all over the snippet of white card which I planned to use as my image panel.
  • Using TCW stencils (mini circles and faux brick) I stencilled bundled sage through both fairly randomly and added the green around the edge again once the stencils were removed
  • Using my Paper Artsy splatter and Visible Image pixellated border (part of the Craft Stamper freebie mini flourish) I stamped with the bundled sage
  • Crafty Impressions sentiment and Penny Black poinsettia stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crystal stickles used to highlight


I'll be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - challenge No. 187 - SNIPPETS CHALLENGE
  2. That's Crafty - STENCILS and MASKS - I used two stencils
  3. Crafting with Attitude - challenge No. 5 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Wednesdays Creative Inspirations - challenge No. 323 - FLOWERS

And the smoothie lookalikes? Well, they performed well enough but it's early days to say how well they perform over time! If they last half as long as smoothies then they'll still be worth the money!

And whilst I was at the table of craftiness yesterday I thought I would try a card for a challenge I saw recently ........



My card
And a close up

And the co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:

  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Papermania pad stripes/polka dot
  • Black card for matting
  • 14cm square white card panel - for insert, edged with black ink
  • Snippets of white card on to which I stamped the Inkadinkado guitar and the TPC Studio sentiment
  • Kaisercraft mini grid image inked with Memento tuxedo black ink and randomly stamped around the image
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Memento London fog ink

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. The Male Room - challenge No. 15 - SPOTS AND STRIPES
  2. Crafts4Eternity - challenge No. R236 - MUSIC
  3. Daring Card Makers - Ruby Rock-it dare - ROCK IT
  4. Sister Act - challenge No. 116 - ANYTHING GOES
  5. Polkadoodles - TWO (or more) PATTERNED PAPERS - I used two
  6. Simply Papercraft - challenge No. 9 - ANYTHING GOES
  7. Sweet Stampin' challenge - BOYS and their TOYS


Have a great Sunday - by the time you read this I may be getting inky myself!


22 comments:

SARN said...

Well, apart from the colour, your Chinese versions look identical to the Smoothies. I have 4 of the UK ones but haven't tried them out yet!

LOVE the ATC with the bit of bling.

FAB guitar birthday card too.

Happy Sunday xxx

Di said...

Fabulous cards Kathy - and your snippets one is a real thing of beauty. Those sponges look amazing value, Dolet us know how well they last :) I sometimes find things I buy on line are shipped from China/Hong Kong post free. And the item might only cost a couple of pounds anyhow - makes you wonder just how they do it!

Hugs

Di xx

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Great cards, I love them both! Thanks for joining in with the Daring Cardmakers this week x

sue t. said...

I love it when I see a card using a stamp I have! Your guitar card is awesome! My husband is a guitar player so on his birthday he always gets a guitar card. May have to CASE it this year. Thanks for joining us at The Male Room!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Both great projects Kathy! I love the soft colour of the 'snippet' piece and the layout of the second card. I remember those sponges when they first came out, used in the beauty industry as make up sponges, which they called 'Beauty Blenders' . . . items meant for other purposes all seem to make their way into the crafting world, don't they? Hope you are having better weather than we are today in Plymouth?! Winter is here, looking out the window all I can see is grey, misty rain!! Hazel xx

Marilyn said...

Great cards and wowsa, the daisy one is so pretty with the little bits of glitter.
The black/white birthday one is great... so classy and perfect for just about anyone.

Loll said...

Two fantastic projects Kathy. Love the first with that beautiful silhouette stamp from PB ... I have it too and LOVE using it. And very cool card for the second. I have found jumbo daubers that I use for blending. I buy them from Amazon ... I'm trying to remember the price, but think it was about $35 US for 50 (yes, 50!). Here's the scary part, I ordered two bags! :) Wanted to have one for each of my colours of ink so I don't have to wash them out and wait for them to dry before using again ... laziness, impatience on my part :) They work really well for me. Have a fun crafting day with Lilian. Look forward to seeing what you two come up with. xx

Lilian said...

Great projects kathy, love the flower. A great way to use snippets.

Hugs lilian


Rene said...

Fabulous!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations! Good luck,
Rene

Barb said...

Two lovely cards from you Kathy. I really like the way you do envelopes to match cards.

I have some of the smoothies and although I've not used them a lot think I'm going to like using them. They seem to do a soft blend anI have used several different colours on just one of the "eggs".

Asha said...

That's a fab guitar card, Kathy and your choice of papers are perfect. Thanks for playing along with Polka Doodles 2 Or More Patterned Papers challenge.
x Asha (DT)

Helen Haines said...

Lovely card, those sponges sound amazing and you've done a great job. Thank you for joining us at Crafting with An Attitude. Helen DT

Beckie said...

Oh yeah your card certainly rocks!! Thanks for joining in the daring cardmakers this week

Wedgie said...

Love your guitar card Kathy - it rocks!
Thank you for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

Natty said...

Fab cards and I love the matching envelope for the rock card! Thanks for playing along with the Daring Cardmakers this week. :D

starcyl said...

Such a great project and perfect for our challenge of Use two or more patterned papers over at Polkadoodles This time.
Jenny x
PolkadoodlesDT

Wendy Russell said...

Fabulous creations, love it and perfect for our challenge. Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles Wendy (DT).xx

michele said...

Fabulous card Kathy :) Thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week hugs x

Monika Reeck said...

Really beautiful flower card
I come here to see your manly card and this is fabulous
great choosing the manly image and great using the spots and stripes..
lovely manly card
thanks for joining us at The Male Room
Monika (GDT at TMR)

Cass said...

Fab guitar card. I love that stamp set. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

mixamatoasties said...

Rockin' male card!

Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin'.

Susan

Deborah Frings said...

Oh I do like this card - perfect for a guy. Great colours, and the papers are just right for the challenge. Love the touch of grunge. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room, and I'm sorry I'm so late commenting!! Deborah x