Saturday, 4 February 2017

It's SATURDAY!

Hi readers and followers,

Hope you are enjoying your weekend ... got much planned?

I nipped out, with a pal, to grab a coffee at our local branch of this coffee chain. Liz and I haven't caught up since before Christmas due to her cold then me getting the norovirus, Christmas and then us both catching this season's "long lasting" virus ... but at last we were all healthy enough to risk a catch up and diary check! Diary check? P Natter? P Coffee?  Nope - turned out to be tea, and a wicked cheese scone .. in lieu of lunch I hasten to add!

If you've stopped by to see my crafting projects then, read on .... a friend suggested I might like to check out a 30 day journalling course, so I did ..... and this is my make for the first prompt .. There is only one journey, going inside yourself and had the added prompts of: The journey I long to take .. This journey is inspired by .... Going inside myself looks like ....

Hmmm, tricky ... well, going inside myself to force me to try, try, try .. to reach for the stars, the figure (which appears to me to be facing both ways) is because I SHOULD try to see things from both sides .. and the end result? Looks a little like this ....


My finished page
gesso'd and brayered
Stencilling
This may be my focal image .. or I may look for something with wings ...
My Dylusions stamping and TCW stencilling
Dina Wakely and Stamplorations stamping
Materials used:
  • Crawford and Black journal page, gesso'd
  • Paper Artsy fresco paints in dolly mixture and orchid along with Deco Art purple pearl paints brayered over the page and set aside to dry
  • Using a piece of foam cut and dry I applied Paper Artsy fresco paint, in pansy, through a Stamplorations chevron stencil
  • I stamped my Sparkle 'n Sprinkle image on to white card using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Crayola coloured pencils (blended using Sansodor): sand, peach, yellow, lemon yellow, light orange, red orange, red, mahogany, maroon, pink, magenta, mauve, orchid, purple, brown
  • Dina Wakely stars stamped using Ranger Archival watering can and jet black inks
  • Once the image had dried and the sansodor evaporated I fussy cut it out and adhered, with the head in the star
  • Faber Castell "S" thickness pitt pen and a Tsukineko white gelly roll gel pen used to outline and emphasise the importance of the text
  • Plaid dimensional gloss and stardust stickles used to further highlight the stars
  • Finally, I added the date at the bottom

I don't know whether I will do all of the 30 subjects as I found it a little daunting to journal to a topic but who knows?

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Creative Artiste - challenge No. 23 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  2. Welove2Create - challenge No. 2 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  3. The House that Stamps Built - challenge No. 21 - ANYTHING BUT A CARD

Enough of the profound and meaningful  .......... on to the other crafting ...


My card
The front and back of my card and reverse of my envelope
The inside of my card and front of my envelope

Materials used:
  • White C6, 250gsm, card and matching sized envelope
  • Two white card panels, cut to 13.8 x 9.5cm
  • One orange card panel cut to 14.3 x 10cm
  • Snippets of white card and orange card, for the image panel and matting
  • Distress Inks (applied with a blending tool): picked raspberry, festive berries and carved pumpkin
  • Inkadinkado sentiment/image inked with versamark ink, stamped and then heat embossed using clear embossing powder .... I double embossed and the 2nd coat of embossing powder I realised that some had stayed where it shouldn't have - ALMOST threw it away and started again but, being a BIG fan of splatters I found I kind of liked it once the black went on top! What do you think?
  • Distress Ink in black soot applied all over (a la Joseph's Coat Technique), the excess wiped off with paper towel and a quick spritz of Crafters Companion Spray and Shine to seal.
  • High Hopes birthday sentiment stamped usingMemento rhubarb stalk (I tried rosebud but it just didn't show up) and Inkadinkado sentiment/image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink for the insert, reverse and envelope




I'll be entering the above make for the following challenges:-
  1. Simply Less Is More - challenge No. 314 - COLOUR WHEEL - choose three colours adjacent on the colour wheel, I went with pink/red/orange
  2. QKR Stampede - challenge No. 229 - ANYTHING GOES withthe option of Valentines .. which I didn't use
  3. Artbymiran - challenge No. 77 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Creative Fingers - challenge No. 124 - ANYTHING GOES
  5. Simply Papercraft for all occasions - challenge No. 43 - ANYTHING GOES
 

It's also the 6th anniversary of the challenge over at Simply Less Is More so ... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to the LIM-ettes! They're celebrating their anniversary all month AND they have a new look blog too!


19 comments:

Barb said...

Wow Kathy - your journal page looks amazing! A lovely "congratulations" card too with great heat embossing. Barbxx

Pat said...

I love your journal page and the way you have interpreted the theme Kathy with your reaching for those pretty stars and the person looking both ways and I think the white accents are a great touch. Your Jacobs Coat technique works beautifully on the card and the colours are lovely and bright. I think your double embossing has worked really well and the slightly blurred look to the sentiment gives it character. x

SARN said...

Love your journal page. Haven't done any journalling for a while . . . so thanks for the inspiration.

Loving your congrats card and, personally, I like the unintended splatters!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Dorothy S said...

That is such a striking card - with the contrast of bright letters on white - what a statement! Thanks for joining the weekly QKR Stampede challenge - Anything Goes with a Valentine twist. Dorothy S, DT member.

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab makes kathy. Enjoy your journal prompt challenge.

NanaConnie said...

Kathy, that Congrats card is fabulous and I love the embossing, including the splatters! Very artsy. It's wonderful to see you playing along in our "Anything Goes" challenge at QKR Stampede this week. Good luck in the draw.
NanaConnie DT

lilian said...

Great journal page Kathy, I just love the colours on your card, Spendid card

Lilian

Gerrina said...

This AJ-page is a beauty; you really captured what you wanted to express!
And the shiny sentiment in the bright colours looks so good!

Nonni said...

What a fun card for LIM, I love the embellished envelope, great job! Thanks for popping by my blog today, have a fun weekend!

Debs M said...

fab makes - still haven't decided what to do for my first day tho...

Patti J said...

Thanks for joining us at The House that Stamps Built! This is amazing! I'm still scared to try something like this! Great job!

Neets B said...

Loving that bold congrats, Kathy. And love the mix of colours on your vibrant card. Gender neutral too, fab!
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

Esther said...

Wowzers Kathy! You've gone super bright and vibrant today and I LOVE it! The journal page is the most super use of layering and a really impactful end result. The congrats card is really eye catching and different - so creative - and perfect for our colour wheel challenge. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More :)

Viv's Visuals said...

Awesome embossing Kathy! And I think splatters are good!! Great journal page too. x

Jen Nelson said...

lovely cards.. love the congrats card
thanks for joining us to celebrate Less Is Mores 6th Birthday Jen xxx

Chrissie said...

I see you managed to get your fave colour from the wheel there Kathy...and it looks spectacular too!
Thanks for joining in the LIM birthday fun!
Chrissie

Heather said...

Very cool journal page. That background looks really fabulous! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

karalschuknecht said...

Beautiful card, love the colors. Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede. Karal DT

Lys Scrap said...

A bright journal spread. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste!